Rats are very hard to control once they already invaded your houses. They are intelligent. You can discourage them away from your houses by using a lot of toxic chemical products. But those toxic products can be harmful also to children and other animals. Besides, it will also cost you a lot of money. The best way to discourage rats is by using natural ways like traps combined with naturally made rats repellents that is made mostly from herbs.
Reasons to Keep the Rats Away
Rats sneak into your house because they get everything they want from you! Your house is their one stop shop to satisfy all their needs. Hence, they don’t mind eating your dinner, tearing apart your favorite bag or clothes, churning up the wood and biting the cables across your home. Besides this, they also litter all over your house, transporting the germs from the sewage pipes to your interiors. They are known to spread the following diseases:
- Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome
- Murine Typhus
- Rat-bite fever
- Salmonella Enterica Serovar Typhimurium
- Eosinophilic Meningitis
These are diseases caused by inhaling rat fur, litter and eating the food which they have bitten. So, it is highly essential to get rid of rats from your house.
Natural Rat Repellent
The primary reason to choose natural rat repellent is because of eco-friendly concerns. These are ways which help you get rid of rats without using any toxic, harmful or poisonous chemicals. The natural rat repellents are made from natural organic herbs. These repellents don’t cause harm to any creatures while ensuring that rats don’t enter your premises.
The Various Types of Natural Rat Repellents
- Naphthalene balls are ideal to keep in any place like toilets, sinks, cupboards, pipelines, sewage lines, etc. The rats don’t like the aroma emitted by naphthalene balls.
- Mix ¼ cup boric acid and ½ cup peanut butter to create marble sized balls and place them near rat infested areas. This mixture kills rats.
- A pleasant way to stop rats from entering your premises would be to grow peppermint, spearmint and citronella plants. If you can’t afford these plants, make or purchase these oils. Rats don’t like herbal aromas.
- Raw sweet potato forms a cyanide reaction in a rat’s stomach; hence, mixing them with any of your food is a good natural rat repellent.
- Raw dry beans and peanuts contain nutrients which can kill rats. It blocks the digestive system by aborting the necessary vitamin A and enzymes needed for the rats to digest the protein and starches. This leads causes the red blood cells to cluster and eventually kill the rats.